20 Jan 2016

Student's Life : Poor vs Rich

Assalamualaikum..

1) Recently, we were exposed by the social media viral about a number of hungry students queued for the sponsored food. Sad to say but that was the reality happened among the students, especially to the undergraduate. Some of them only lunch or dinner with Maggi. 

2) In reality, most of them are funded by PTPTN, while others might be a scholarship holders (JPA, Petronas, Sime Darby & etc, of course they are very lucky..) and the rest by FAMA (father & mother) sponsorship.



3) During my time at UUM, I had a few friends who took lunch & dinner only with Maggi. When I asked, some of them told me that they had to spend prudently (eat 'nasi bujang', maggie & all cheap foods) in order to survive until the end of semester. For those who dont know what 'nasi bujang' is, you guys can ask univ students. Of course they will be so excited to explain to you. Maybe at UiTM, it is famous as 'Nasi Goreng Student' which only cost RM2.50/plate (during my time in 2009). I guess may be now up to RM3.00 to RM4.00 (due to GST perhaps).

4) For me, it depends on the students themselves on how to manage their own pocket money. PTPTN holder might received RM2,000/semester (after deduct the study fees). Previously, I used 1/3 of the money as capital to set up business. I still remember during my 2nd semester, I started my first business to sell health supplement known as QSI Genius. Even though my profit was not much as compared to other business, that experience taught me to be independent and creative in generating sales.  


5) Next, I ran few other businesses during my study time. The businesses are:
  • 2012 - Supply 'dadih' Warisan to all over cafeterias in UUM. I believe the UUM Student that time really addicted to my 'dadih' (They said "this 'dadih' dah jadi dadah" laa..haha).
  • 2013 - Sell 'kebab' Melawati Doonia to all student's residency blocks. I appointed a few students to be my agent in each particular block.
  • 2014 - Open stall 'Roti Impit Ayamazz' or now known as Ayamazz Frankbunz. This business was shared equally among my  UUM Law Society collegues.

6) All in all, I had gained such a valuable experience during my study time from all these businesses. From there, I learnt a lot especially in business operation,  cash flow management and etc. I believe that such lessons wouldn't be taught in the classroom. So, students shall quit from their comfort zone in order to strive for a better achievement in life.  


The Dean List Award was delivered by Assoc. Professor Dr Rusniah Ahmad to our outstanding final year LL.B student.







No comments:

Post a Comment